#BigBucks$ *** Big Buck$ 2017 is sold out. Good luck to every one!!! Big Buck$ Bonanza
***Have a Junk Car? Why not donate it to the Fire Department? The Bayport FD needs junk cars to practice vehicle extrication.***
The Bayport Fire Department Ladies Auxiliary is an independent entity within the Department for women who are not "members" of the Fire Department that wish to support the Department. The organization at times of emergencies may be activated to assist with preparing food & supplies for firefighters, first responders and evacuees. They are also an essential part of the community that helps those in need.
The Bayport Fire Department Headquarters is located at 251 Snedecor Avenue, Bayport NY 11705.
Parking is available to the rear of the Firehouse. Please use caution as this is an active fire department. Do not park your vehicle in the front of the firehouse or block any entrances/exits or create any hazard where you may interfere with responding emergency personnel and emergency vehicles.
Bayport Fire Department Park:
The Bayport Fire Department Park is located adjacent to the Main Fire headquarters. People attending events at the Department Park should park their vehicles on Joseph Farrell Way (the road adjacent to the firehouse) unless otherwise directed. Please use caution as this road is used for responding emergency personnel and emergency vehicles.
Please note: During Big Buck$, only handicap parking is available on the property. All others will be directed to park offsite by our fire police.
Our First Firehouse on Middle Road. Photo Circa early 1900s courtesy of the Bayport Heritage Assoc.
The Bayport Fire Department was organized by the residents of Bayport in August of 1891 as the Bayport Hose Company. Surviving solely on donations, they purchased a hose cart and built the first firehouse pictured on the right. A few years later, the Hook & Ladder company was formed and the name was changed to the Bayport Fire Department.
As far as we know, the Bayport FD is the only fire department that wears the original style uniform. It has become increasingly difficult to have our uniforms made. Components of our uniforms have been imported and made from around the United States and even abroad. After over 100 years of our uniforms being personally sized and hand made, we were able to find a company in Colorado that was able to machine manufacture them.
In the 1920's the Bayport Fire District municipality was created as a tax collecting entity to provide fire protection. In the 1950's the Fire District built a new Fire Headquarters at Snedecor ave and Railroad Street which is the current Headquarters for both the Fire District and Department.
Today, the Bayport Fire Department is stronger then ever operating with four companies (Hose, Hook and Ladder, Engine and Fire Police) and two squads (Rescue and Water Rescue), three Engines, a Hook and Ladder Truck, Brush Truck, Rescue Truck, Water Rescue Truck, two boats, three support or traffic vehicles, three chiefs cars and a bus. We have come a long way in over 100 years but we still hold close the tradition that has made us the unique department that we are.
3-14-5, the fire engine purchased new by the Bayport Fire Dist. In Service until 1990, currently owned by the Bayport Fire Dept.
The Bayport Fire Headquarters, Apparatus, Equipment and collection of taxes, budgets/spending are handled through the Bayport Fire District, a separate government entity within the Town of Islip and completely separate and autonomous from the Bayport Fire Department. The Fire District owns the Fire Headquarters, Apparatus and Equipment, not the fire department. For questions relating to these or your taxes, please visit the Bayport Fire District website or contact the board of Fire Commissioners at 631-472-0641 or look at our FAQ section.